Friday, February 13, 2009

Fireproof

The movie Fireproof is debuting as I write this article on Friday Sept 26th. The reason I chose this subject is the movie is about marriage. In the last six weeks I have had two good friends call or email me and tell me their wives were leaving them and filing for divorce. I will spare you the details but needless to say in divorce situations both parties bear some of the blame and I would not begin to defend one side of the other. As the NHLA converges on the fair city of San Francisco I begin to think of this city and one thing does come to mind. The fight going on in CA over what marriage should be and I certainly have my opinion on this subject but the truth is my opinion does not matter. It is God’s opinion that matters and his alone. Christians from all over the country protest, write blogs, write to the local editorial pages, sign petitions and are very active on this subject trying to influence the direction our country is going. I commend them for this effort. I would like to take a minute to look at this situation from a different point of view, not from a different opinion. We are all concerned with the direction of our country and the influences pulling at our children. Our kids are confused by what surrounds them today in the world but what confuses them even more is indifference in the Christian realm to real marriage. We say as Christian’s, marriage is between one woman and one man. I say we are not teaching our kids that to be true when there are just as many divorces in the Christian community. Maybe the answer to solving this problem we face in helping define marriage is being undermined by our own behavior in our homes. Our kids need to see us love more, care more, pray more etc, etc. I think you get the idea. This article is not intended to be a counseling piece for marriages in trouble. This article is intended to get our focus on the main thing. The old saying “keep the main thing the main thing” is very true. Our kids need to see what a family is on a daily basis not hear about what a family isn’t. You can’t have one without the other. My understanding is when the FBI trains their people about counterfeit money they have them study the real thing so much that when they see counterfeit money it stands out. If you try and study all the ways to counterfeit then you lose focus. I say let our kids study the real thing in our homes and then we can have confidence they will be able to spot the fake when the time comes. Please don’t misunderstand, I do believe we should stand up for what is right and do all the things mentioned above when confronted with sin but we can’t ignore the impact our daily lives have on our children. I want to encourage you to take the time and go with your family to see the new movie Fireproof. If you want information about this movie please visit www.fireproofthemovie.com and I believe we should support good movies at the theatre if we want more of these types of programs to be produced. If you have friends that are struggling in their marriage then I encourage you to invite them to come along and see this movie together. You might just help influence them to try and improve their marriage relationship. Let’s fight just as hard to save our marriages as we do on other commendable social issues. One line from this movie says it all “NEVER LEAVE YOUR PARTNER BEHIND”!

No comments:

Post a Comment