Saturday, May 2, 2009

Golf's Lessons in Life

I took up Golf a couple of years back and I quickly found out how tough this sport can be to learn. I love the game and decided to take some lessons from a local golf teacher. This teacher is excellent and I would recommend him to anyone. When we worked to together I found myself hitting the ball with more confidence and the ball traveled further and went straighter. We would work for 30 minutes together and then he would move on to his next student. The frustrating part of this equation comes when I begin to practice without my teacher. I very quickly lose confidence and can't seem to replicate the swing that he helped me find. This is clearly not the teachers fault. He can't be there every second. I have to learn to reproduce the same swing that he finds when we work together. As I thought about this dilemma recently I realized how thankful I am that the Lord does not give us instruction then walk away to another student. He is patiently there all the time wanting to be our constant companion to teach us how to replicate Christ (Phil 2:1-5) in our life. I soon realized as much as I would like my golf instructor to be with me on the course that was not going to happen. The truth is we have the ability to have the Lord with us all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I like the analogy very much. It reminds me of Paul's reliance on Christ to overcome the natural trend towards sin (Romans 7:23-25).

    This could turn into an excuse by some, though: "Really, Pastor, on Sunday I was learning about God...by golfing!" :)

    ReplyDelete